Sunday, October 16, 2011

{Costa Rica 2011} - Day 12 - Final Day

On our final full day in Costa Rica, I woke up in my room at Hotel Banana Azul in Puerto Viejo early so I could try and capture a sunrise.  I had the entire beach to myself except for a friendly dog from the hotel that walked beside me, and it was incredibly relaxing.  Seemed like a perfect way to start my final day on the coast.

The purples and oranges of the sunrise have to be some of my colors in the world.

Sunrise at Playa Negra.

Sunrise and waves.
Gorgeous.
Later in the morning we had breakfast at the hotel and said our final farewells to the hotel pets.

Fat doggy.
More animals!
I really enjoyed our stay at the hotel and would recommend it to anyone looking for a convenient location with a good atmosphere and friendly staff (and pets).  :)

After the hotel breakfast we headed to another local restaurant that came highly recommended by friends and guidebooks called Bread and Chocolate.  They're known for their brownies but their breakfasts are also very popular.  We had a tasty breakfast that was more filling than we really needed and a delicious brownie and we got back on the road to San Jose.

Bread and Chocolate.
The famous dark chocolate brownie with walnuts.


I slept for a couple of hours on the way back to San Jose but woke up just in time to witness Tony's dad driving faster than he should be on the curvy, foggy roads of the rain forest.  We survived. :)

Back in San Jose we spent the rest of our time on last minute errands and preparing to head home.  We hit the local grocery store where we loaded up on more coffee and treats for friends and family back home and also got supplies for one of Tony's favorite meals when at home.

Tony is a cheese fiend.  I'm pretty sure he could eat it for every meal as the ONLY component of the meal.  I love cheese, but I'm not sure how he does it!  Our final meal at his mom's was cheese fondue.  She made a tasty cheese sauce with cheeses from the dairy in Monteverde (awesome cheese!) and we had a variety of breads to dip.  I honestly didn't think I had any more room for food in my stomach, but I managed to eat my share. :)

Our flight out the next morning was at 7:30am so we had yet another early morning ahead of us so that we could get to the airport on time.  After some creative packing and making good use of my baggage scale we were prepared to depart paradise.  I just hoped all of my baggage made it home and made it there in one piece!  Luckily, it did.

----------------------

What a wonderful trip!  I look forward to my next visit.  I want to spend more time at the beaches next time but I don't regret any of the choices we made for our visit.  I'm glad I got to see beaches, cloud forest, volcano, both coasts, the pineapples, etc, etc.  Now that I've had a broad view of the things that Costa Rica has to offer I look forward to spending time getting to know some of them even better.  And of course experiencing new things!  There's just so much to do and see it's hard to narrow it down. :)

No comments: