Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Let Yoga Festival Season Begin!

Spring has sprung a little early this year and it's got me excited about the various yoga festivals and retreats I have coming up!  I consider Spring the beginning of Yoga Festival Season despite the fact that one of the main festivals is in October....oh well!

I thought I'd post some info about upcoming events in the area (including KC and Iowa City), especially those with early bird registration going on right now, so that others can take advantage of these great opportunities!

It's important to note that these events that I'm listing are appropriate for all levels of yoga practitioners. As with any yoga class, listen to your body and make modifications.  And avoid signing up for advanced sessions if you're not ready. ;)

First up, we have the Second Annual Central Iowa Yoga Retreat!

Logo from Central Iowa Yoga Retreat

The retreat is a day packed with a variety of activities including a session with the always wonderful James Miller.  There's even a "Pose and Prose" session that involves journaling while doing yoga that I'm very intrigued by. :)  Last year was a very enjoyable experience and a good chance to bond with other local yogis.  Unfortunately, the early bird registration has already passed, but it's still a good deal!

What:  Central Iowa Yoga Retreat
When:  April 1, 2012 8am-4pm
Where:  Community and Events Center, Windsor Heights, IA
Cost: UPDATED: $99! The early bird price has been extended to everyone!
Registration Site

On Cinco de Mayo we have margaritas!  I mean, we have the Kansas City Yoga Festival and THEN we have margaritas!
Logo from Kansas City Yoga Festival


Hooray!  A nice quick road trip to Kansas City, yoga, and still time for margaritas afterward!  This is the first year for this festival, but it's shaping up to be a good one! James Miller will be at this festival as well, as will another amazing yogi, Gabriel Azoulay.  This festival also includes a yoga flash mob, so we'll see how that goes. :)

What:  Kansas City Yoga Festival
When:  May 5, 2012 8am-6:15pm
Where:  Family Life Center, Independence, MO
Cost: Early Bird Special until March 20th - $75.  After March 20th - $110.
Registration Site

Last, but not least, we have the Iowa City Yoga Festival!

Logo for Iowa City Yoga Festival

I attended the very first Iowa City Yoga Festival but a scheduling snafu kept me away last year.  Much to my dismay, might I add.  Not this year!  I've have this baby blocked in my calendar for a year!  I'm not even going to bother listing the amazing people that will be at this festival.  That, and the list isn't available...but I could make some educated guesses. :)  The brain child of James Miller, it's sure to be packed with respected speakers and instructors.  It's truly a magical weekend and not to be missed by anyone that loves yoga.  Go, enjoy, and bring friends next year!

What:  Iowa City Yoga Festival
When:  October 12-14, 2012
Where:  Iowa City, IA
Cost: $325
Registration Site
Make sure to look at the session descriptions before you register as you will be picking your agenda when you sign up!

Aside from these lovely events, we must not forget to mention the awesome free events that are available in the metro in the summer!  Yoga in the Park and Yoga on the Lawn are two fabulous summer opportunities that should not be missed. 
Gray's Lake, Des Moines, IA
June 2 - September 29
Saturdays @ 9am
The instructor lineup is quite good this year.  Take a look at the link for a full schedule.  James Miller is teaching on 8/11, his classes usually are far from free! 

Yoga on the Lawn
WDM City Hall Lawn, West Des Moines, IA
June 3 - September 2 
Sundays @ 9am

This is by no means an all inclusive list of all of the workshop, class, etc opportunities in and around Des Moines.  Just a few highlights that I already have on my calendar.  I do try to keep on top of the area events and will typically share them on my Twitter feed as well.

Hope to see you at these events!

2 comments:

Poornima said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Poornima said...

Thanks for posting all these wonderful events! Going to see if I can attend some of them.