Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Good Stuff

I'm finally taking some time to read books in my "to-read" pile and I thought I'd mention a couple that I enjoyed.

The Kitchen House
Such a good book. I heard about it on a blog post by Jenna at Eat, Live, Run and she's 100% right about it being impossible to put down. I'm not done yet but I'm loving it so much I felt it worthy of a mention anyway! It's about a little, Irish, white girl that is brought to live and work as a slave after her family dies during the trip to America. It will suck you in immediately, I promise. I'm kind of sad I didn't get it on the Kindle to read on my trip because it would have been perfect, but I'm loving my old fashioned book. Only drawback is that it's keeping me up WAY past my bedtime!




Devil in the White City
An incredibly interesting bit of historical non-fiction that reads like a novel. It describes the efforts and people involved with the 1893 Chicago World's Fair as well as the serial killer hunting his prey in the crowds that filled the city for the event. All kinds of interesting tidbits in this book! And I learned why PBR got its name, which I'm sure will come in handy some day. :) This book won't be for everyone but if you're a history, crime or architecture buff you'll enjoy it.

No comments: